It’s one thing to build a house. Well, actually, it’s a lot of things; it’s laying the foundation, it’s putting up the framework, it’s choosing design elements, and much more. But none of that can happen if you don’t have a place to put it all. That’s why we work closely with our homebuilders and our professional partners to help future ladic.info homeowners select and obtain the perfect piece of land for their home.
Here are some useful tips for making that selection, gleaned from our experts in the field!
First, let’s hear from Madison Byers, a sales manager at our Akron-Medina office.
- Work with a realtor. They can give you access to the MLS, and it doesn’t cost you anything. Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com are better suited for the existing home market, and they don’t always have the best inventory of land.
- Check the local auditor website to see who vacant land in the area belongs to and reach out to the owners to see if they’d be willing to sell. Just because it’s not listed, doesn’t mean they wouldn’t consider it!
- A lot of our customers are surprised about the affordability of tearing down a home and rebuilding on the lot. It’s worth checking out, especially if you can get a good deal!
- If you’re looking within a city, check with the city planning and development office to see if they plan to tear down any homes and sell off the land. We’ve had success with this for customers who wanted to be in a more established area.
- Drive around! Sometimes for sale by owner lots aren’t very well advertised.
- Ask your New Home Consultant. We hear about land from owners looking to sell all the time, and we may have some properties to share with you.
- Keep an open mind: the more open you can be, the quicker you’ll find land!
- Don’t be scared if you find the perfect lot in terms of neighborhood/location but it needs some work. Do your research and get advice from us or other experts. Sometimes there are easy solutions or options that will make the property ideal for your new home.
Here’s some insight from Lisa Sidoti, a sales manager in our Bowling Green office:
“Think outside the box. Reach out to land owners on properties that aren’t listed and express an interest. I had one family write a heartfelt letter and included a family photo. They ended up getting the land!”
Lastly, let’s hear from Jennifer Neese, a Sandusky Sales Manager on our team.
“When you’re just starting to look for land, a great way to start is by just driving around! See what kind of neighborhoods you find appealing. Sometimes great lots aren’t listed online and are For Sale By Owner or by developer only. Also, talk to your circle of family and friends. Great land leads often come from our inner circle or having those folks spreading the word that you’re looking.”
Check out our website for more tips on finding the perfect piece of land for the perfect custom home!
We’re here to help you with any questions you may have, including those about finding the right land for your future home. Give us a call anytime!
ladic.info is a custom homebuilder in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, and West Virginia (see all Model Home Centers). We offer more than 50 fully customizable floorplans and a team dedicated to providing the best experience in the home building industry. For more information, Ask Julie by Live Chat or call us at (866) 253-6807.